Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Evaluation of other groups' experimental installations

Josh and Ivory
When I first watched this installation I wasn't sure what exactly it was about but I don't think this is necessarily a problem because I don't think you should immediately be aware of what a piece of art is trying to tell you. What really stuck out to me was the use of tights as masks. It read as very suffocating to me and I think it said something to me about the suffocation of identity labels. Obviously with the audio coming into play it became obvious that the piece was about gender inequality but I guess in a way what I mentioned before about identity is true of this piece also. What is interesting about this piece is how the masks could make the gender of the two actors indistinguishable which pushes the idea of blurring gender lines and therefore ridding society of gender inequality.

Kim
I think one thing that really makes this piece effective is the use of a singular performer. It is so captivating to watch the small details on someone's face change and it can be far more interesting than watching an elaborate, choreographed piece. I think the rawness of the facial expressions and the interaction with the audience will be really moving for the audience. I am interested to see how all the paint will look at the end.


Tia and Esme

This piece is not only mesmerising but quite moving. The form of the piece is so strong the only way I could think of the piece being improved is the pushing of the investigation between the two girls a bit more. From hearing the piece being described by Tia and Esme, I've heard the piece is about two girls investigating each others bodies but I think the objective of investigation could be pushed a tiny bit more to make the audience feel like voyeurs and just enhance the intrusion that the audience feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment