Today we tried an activity designed by Forced Entertainment. Each person began with a selection of images. At first I found it difficult to make a story which was entertaining to me due to the lack of links between the images. But once I gave up trying to let the story make sense and let it be outlandish it became far easier.
When we first shared it as a class in pairs, there was a lot of emphasis on setting and I think it's because there is a major emphasis on setting in the stories that we view through TV and Film. It is a lot more of a challenge to focus on a detail in a picture in order to compose a story but I think it is worth looking at the details in pictures because often details are the most interesting things which have much to expand upon compared to a big glaring detail.
When me and Eloise did our story as a group, the form we chose was a game of Chinese whispers. We planned to tell the story we had created with the stories through the game of Chinese whispers. When it came to the performance we realised how difficult it was to tell a whole story through Chinese whispers, it was very difficult for Hannah to remember all that I had told her and so it was difficult for her to pass it on to the next person. It wasn't as successful or clever as it had seemed in my head but what it taught me is how story should be at the centre of all things. The question should be: What form or structure would best compliment this story? Your primary concern shouldn't be what is the most innovative form to tell the story with. I think art becomes indulgent when it does that and veers away from truth. Even though our work is experimental this term, this does not mean we should lose emphasis on the truth, no matter how stilted and twisted it may be.
No comments:
Post a Comment